jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jackrabbit and webdav
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:22:03 GMT
hi dave,

> Sorry, I didn't formulate my original question very clearly.  I'm trying
> to understand the differences between WebDAV and JSR-170.
does stefano's comment answer your question now?
protocol vs. api.

> Both seem to
> serve very similar purposes.  But I don't understand the differences, or
> why JSR-170 was developed after webdav.
servlet was developed after http? so?

> I assume that there are some
> functions that jcr offers that webdav does not,
why?

> but I'm having trouble seeing them.
me too ;)

> The homepage http://incubator.apache.org/jackrabbit/ says
> "Jackrabbit's implementation began as a proposal within the Jakarta
> Slide <http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/index.html>project, but has since
> attracted interest from multiple projects with the Apache Software
> Foundation <http://www.apache.org/>, including Slide, Cocoon, Lenya, XML
> Indexing, Axion, and Derby."  But it doesn't say why JackRabbit was
> extracted from the Slide project (which is WebDAV).
because it wasn't. there is no slide code in jackrabbit.
the slide project IS not webdav.
the slide project is a proprietary content repository, with a
"controversial" webdav server as a protocol layer to interact
with it.

> Can anyone provide me with pointers to that history? Or provide a
> summary of the split from WebDAV?

maybe this old thread may help you:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-jackrabbit-dev/200410.mbox/%3Ceb7e219041026064862d367b8@mail.gmail.com%3E

or in more details, here:

http://www.day.com/jsr170/server/JCR_Webdav_Protocol.zip

does that answer your question?

regards,
david

.ps: numerous people with a webdav background (including the original
slide developers) were involved in developing jsr-170, especially geoff
clemm from delta-v and general webdav fame, and from my perspective they
did an excellent job making sure that jcr and webdav work together nicely.