jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Internal package dependencies in Jackrabbit
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:01:21 GMT
On 9/22/05, Edgar Poce <edgarpoce@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi jukka
>
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
> >
> > I tried creating a semi-automated package diagram for Jackrabbit, but at
> > least at the moment there seems to be too many interdependencies to
> > produce a good overview diagram. The result of a fully automated run can
> > be found at http://yukatan.fi/2005/09/jcr/jackrabbit-dependencies.png. :-)
> cool ;).
>

> > Some immediate observations:
> >
> > * Move the QName constants from o.a.j.Constants to o.a.j.name.QName to
> >   break the o.a.j <-> o.a.j.name dependency cycle.
> >
> > * Add a BlobFileSystem property to PMContext to break the direct
> >   LocalFileSystem dependencies in the persistence managers.
> >
> sound good
>
> > * Move the PersistenceManager, QueryManager, etc. interfaces and
> >   associated component classes into one or more separate packages
> >   (I think this was the idea of the .api proposal)
> >
> maybe I'm wrong but AFAIK the idea of the api project was to host the
> new jcr api and not jackrabbit specific interfaces. However I think it
> would be a good idea to move the internal interfaces into one or more
> separate packages and reduce the dependencies. I'd like to see the
> jackrabbit core components not only as the RI but also like a modular
> and extensible toolkit for building custom jcr implementations.

sorry, i disagree. jackrabbit should in my opinion a first class jcr repository.
it should be robust, scalable and fast. i don't think that you can accomplish
this by also trying to make it into a generic toolbox/framework for
building custom jcr implementations. imo we should concentrate on
making jackrabbit the best opensource jcr repository.

cheers
stefan