jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Tobias Bocanegra <tobias.bocane...@day.com>
Subject Re: Rethinking the great split
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:07:37 GMT
> Me too -- I've tried several times to recover a decent website build
> from the split directories and I am ready to give up.  Since nobody
> else has built the site since the split was made, I think it is a
> dead end that is hampering progress.

well, i still believe that the split is good, especially,
if we want to develop the jackrabbit api in future. could everything
be put into one sole codebase of course, but it will be more
difficult to find cyclic dependencies, etc. if the project grows bigger.
from my experience with larger, multi-module projects, it is
crucial to separate the build processes of the individual modules.

having a set of good maven goals solves a lot of the multiproject
problems. i must admit, that i did not invest a lot of time
adjusting the maven files, i though that there are other
developers with more maven experience than i have.

but if it is the common wish, i will adjust the files so that:

- a comprehensive site, including the 'modules', 'contribs' external
  docs, etc is built.
- add a mechanism for handling the transitive dependencies
  (imo, maven 2 is not ready, yet)

> We seem to have no end of bad names.  None of {api,commons,core}
> are meaningful.  api is just a placeholder for javax.jcr.
no. api will contain the jackrabbit API with methods that are
currently not available in jcr (nodetypes, QName, etc). and this
will be the base for the future jcr 2.0.  it is a pity that few
efforts were made in creating such an api, since the split.

btw, i thought, org.apache.jackrabbit is a placeholder for javax.jcr :-)

> commons should be o.a.j.util.
ok,

> core should be o.a.j.jcr.
i disagree. o.a.j.core is totally ok.

> I'd like to have some kind of grouping/distinction of things
> like rmi and webdav that act as network client interfaces.
> Would "org.apache.jackrabbit.via.rmi" be okay?
ok for me.

cheers, tobi

T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97