jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Edgar Poce <edgarp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Preparing for 1.0
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:42:31 GMT
hi

Jukka Zitting wrote:
> The 1.0 roadmap I set up at Jira some while ago has been shaping up quite well
> lately, but unfortunately it just keeps growing as long as a feature freeze for
> 1.0 is not announced. I just added version labels 1.0.1 and 1.1 to Jira to allow
> proper tagging of issues that might not make it for the 1.0 release.
good idea

> Based on recent discussions and the current Jira issue list it seems that threre
> are three main issues to be solved before the 1.0 release (please correct me if
> I'm forgetting something essential):
>
>     1. Solve the versioning problems with threading and transactions
>     2. Write the installation manual and other basic documentation
>     3. Decide which contrib components to include in the release

I think the only blocker is the versioning issue, see below. Regarding
the contrib projects I think that the first thing to do is to rename the
folder to sandbox and promote the candidates to be included in the
release, I think that jcr-rmi and textfilters should be included. We
could also update the site and svn tree to something like
/jackrabbit (or ri or impl)
/subprojects (or ???)
/sandbox
If there's consensus I volunteer to play with the multiproject maven
plugin and try to get a nice site out of it.

> After appointing the release manager and having a rough consensus on what the
> 1.0 release should contain, I propose that we make a beta release fairly
> quickly (or first an alpha if blocker issues are still open) and allow enough
> time for people to try it out and report back any problems before the final
> release.

hmm..., I don't think it's a good idea to release anything if there are
blocker issues, i.e. versioning issues. I've been a user of apache
products for many years mainly because of the high standards of its
products. Many times I didn't read the release notes and I used beta
projects in production without major problems, at least that I'm aware
of, so I'm happy anyway ;). From a user perspective I wouldn't like to
download a released project from apache which has known major bugs, it
would hurt a long time relationship ;).

br,
edgar