jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandru Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Model 3 deployment status
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:04:41 GMT
#: Jukka Zitting changed the world a bit at a time by saying on  9/29/2005 10:32 PM :#
> Hi,
>
> Thomas Duffey wrote:
>> The "Repository Server HOWTO" warns that the current implementation
>> has serious performance issues.  Does anyone know just how serious
>> these issues and if anyone is working on improvements?  If this model
>>  is not ready for prime time then how are people using Jackrabbit in
>> clustered application server environments?  I understand these are
>> difficult questions to answer but any insight or advice on using
>> Jackrabbit as a repository server will help!
>
> The JCR-RMI layer that the warning on the HOWTO page refers to is currently
> designed for simplicity instead of performance. The current
> implementation maps
> almost all API calls to remote method invocations, which results in
> many network
> roundtrips for even relatively simple repository operations. Simple
> optimizations like streaming all query results in a single operation
> would go a
> long way to improving the performance. Another more advanced
> optimization would
> be to host the entire transient session state at the client side and only
> sending changes over the network when the save() method is invoked.

Shouldn't this be required to happen? (session `flushing´ only on save). In all other cases
I think
that the remote repository should have a session management mechanism that is reusing the
same
session for a client that haven't submitted yet the save() ).

> [...]
> the biggest performance issues by the time the Jackrabbit 1.0 release is made.

Are we talking about something scheduled here :-) ?

cheers,

./alex
--
.the_mindstorm.