jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Ritchy <rob...@jarbo.com>
Subject Re: Filesystem Sync
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:33:39 GMT
Thanks for both responses. Comments below:

David Nuescheler wrote:

>hi robert,
>
>i assume that there is a reason why a WebDAV network share is not
>feasible for your usecase. is that right?

Yes, that's right .. because I want to support a local-copy,
disconnected model.  But, my question was implicitly directed towards
the WebDAV, RMI and related efforts.

>since using webdav would allow you to "simulate" the filesystem right
>"inside" the repository and would avoid the necessity to sync it up altogether.

Yeah, this approach will solve a lot of my problems, but not all. I'm
actually writing three web-based apps (2 for work/1 personal) which will
require general filesystem-JSR170 sync features so I figured this would
be a common CMS problem.

The personal app (photo app) is a bit different from the other two, but
similar enough to get an idea. I want a local service which listens to a
'My Albums' directory.  Then, when the likes of my mother creates a
sub-directory in Explorer and drops in images; she essentially creates a
web-based album (no GUI involved).  So, this client app in question
picks up the changes to this directory, scales the images and creates
the 'album' (mainly a mirrored view of the album dir) in CMS. If the
local system is not connected, it will just queue up the changes.  I
want to scale images before the sync mainly to save server diskspace.
So, this client app would be based on some filesystem listener/filtering
service and some JSR170 remote framework (WebDAV/RMI)

The other two apps do no processing - just pure syncing - which is why I
wanted to start with a general solution.

Thanks again for the responses.

-Robert