jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Huber <shub...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: Is JDBC persistence manager supported by jackrabbit?
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:34:37 GMT

Hi Edgar,

I was away for 3 weeks at the army so sorry for the late reply.

> The main problem to store the itemstates in a complex schema is the
> Collection handling. Since Collection fields changes are not logged
> into add/update/remove aware objects, all the elements in the
> Collection must be stored on each write call. It causes a hit on
> performance when handling collections with lots of elements, even with
> the simple PMs included in the core.

Actually there is a way to do that, and that is why I had custom
implementations of the NodeState and PropertyState, so that I could use
add/update/remove aware objects. Both Hibernate and OJB do this
differently, but if implemented correctly, you do not have to rewrite
the whole collection all the time.

But I ran into trouble because I had to copy the data between the
original item state and my internal objects. That is why the
implementation is so complex. If I could have re-used the objects as-is
I would have had this problem, but this way not possible because I
needed to modify the collection implementations. Maybe there is a way to
do this using aspects, but this would complicate things even further.

With the hindsight, for high-performance, transaction-aware and cluster
compliant, there is no perfect solution. I don't really like the
file-system BLOB solution because it causes problems with replication.
The RMI-cluster solution is interesting, but I worry about
connection/disconnection problems. The full database implementation
causes performance problems, especially for binary data. Basically what
this means is that we are implementing some sort of clustered
file-system, that supports transactions and is as high-performance as
possible.

Regards,
  Serge Huber.