jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@day.com>
Subject Re: Internal package dependencies in Jackrabbit
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:43:37 GMT
hi

Stefan Guggisberg wrote:

>>Jukka Zitting wrote:
>>>* Move the QName constants from o.a.j.Constants to o.a.j.name.QName to
>>>  break the o.a.j <-> o.a.j.name dependency cycle.

eh, that sounds familiar :)

"[...] for the sake of clarity o.a.j.Constants could be renamed to
  NameConstants [...] and/or moved to the name package."

> i don't think that you can accomplish
> this by also trying to make it into a generic toolbox/framework for
> building custom jcr implementations. imo we should concentrate on
> making jackrabbit the best opensource jcr repository.

from my experience with jackrabbit, i would argue, that
there is always room for improvement and that an open
source project should also be the best to be used
from a developer perspective. the blackbox approach
("don't look at it") does not make too much sense to me in
this case.

regarding the api: i have the feeling, that there is the need
for a more open design and api in various sections of jackrabbit.
however, this would in my opinion (after working on a jcr
client) lead to more substancial changes (not only extracting
a few interfaces). after all, that's what i consider to be
the future of jackrabbit, in order to make it the best opensource
jcr implementation :)

regards
angela