jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Is JDBC persistence manager supported by jackrabbit?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:28:08 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Marcel Reutegger wrote:
>> Feel free to provide patches to enhance concurrency.
>
> My first patch than will be port of connection pools from Edgar's JDBC
> PM. Once DB PM has access to DB connection pool, there will be no need
> for any synchronizations. Would you accept it?

hmm, I might be wrong, but I don't think Edgar has implemented a DB
connection pool. Or are you refering to some pooling implementation in OJB?

When submitting a patch please try to keep the newly introduced
dependencies to a minimum. We also prefer implementations that work with
a minimum of configuration overhead.

>> Some enhancements that crossed my mind are:
>> - use a separate read-only connection for load() and exists() operations
>> - use a pool of prepared statements for load() and exists()
>
> There are issues with single/double-connection design, beside the fact
> that (j2ee) applications are discouraged from managing system resources
> themselves:

Jackrabbit is not an j2ee application, but rather a resource itself.
Jackrabbit also runs without an application server and should therefore
not require j2ee infrastructure (though it may use it if available).
Which makes it a question of internal design how jackrabbit handles
resources.

regards
  marcel