jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Edgar Poce <edgarp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is JDBC persistence manager supported by jackrabbit?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 04:49:18 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Ok. Breaking ItemState into parts would tie storage layer to the
> ItemState structure - which would make it impossible to make changes in
> structure or hierarchy of ItemStates...
>
> (Can one (potentially) have custom ItemState(s)?)

I think it's not possible without modifying some core classes.

> But - this makes me wonder why OJB PM and Hibernate PM are considered to
> be acceprable design even though they are implemented exactly in the
> same way - they break up ItemState into parts!?

who said orm pm is a best practice example?

>> I think that the jcr-ext project under contrib might be a good
>> starting point. Or, despite the PM is not intended to be a SPI, you
>> can handle to plug your legacy data if you do it carefully.
>

> Thanks for pointers. Do you suggest to use decorators? I don't see
> though how they could be plugged in into the jackrabbit...

I'm not sure about this, actually I haven't used jcr-ext yet, but I
think that it could be used as a base for a level 1 impl with legacy
data indenpendently from jackrabbit. See o.a.j.base package.
Another option would be to plug your legacy data with a custom PM.

regards
edgar