jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>
Subject Preparing for 1.0
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:17:47 GMT
Hi,

The JCR API has been final for a few months now and there is clearly much
interest for the Jackrabbit 1.0 release. I propose that we start preparing for
the release and set an informal goal of having the release ready within the
next few months. To set things rolling I suggest that we appoint a release
manager and start the discussion on what should be included in the 1.0 release.

The 1.0 roadmap I set up at Jira some while ago has been shaping up quite well
lately, but unfortunately it just keeps growing as long as a feature freeze for
1.0 is not announced. I just added version labels 1.0.1 and 1.1 to Jira to allow
proper tagging of issues that might not make it for the 1.0 release.

Based on recent discussions and the current Jira issue list it seems that threre
are three main issues to be solved before the 1.0 release (please correct me if
I'm forgetting something essential):

    1. Solve the versioning problems with threading and transactions
    2. Write the installation manual and other basic documentation
    3. Decide which contrib components to include in the release

After appointing the release manager and having a rough consensus on what the
1.0 release should contain, I propose that we make a beta release fairly
quickly (or first an alpha if blocker issues are still open) and allow enough
time for people to try it out and report back any problems before the final
release.

I'm not too familiar with the Apache release procedures, so comments from
someone with more experience would be nice. I'm also not sure of how the
release might be related to graduation from the Incubator.

BR,

Jukka Zitting