jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>
Subject Re: Model 3 deployment status
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:23:48 GMT
Hi,

Alexandru Popescu wrote:
>> Another more advanced optimization would be to host the
>> entire transient session state at the client side and only
>> sending changes over the network when the save() method is invoked.
>
> Shouldn't this be required to happen? (session `flushing´ only on
> save). In all other cases I think that the remote repository should
> have a session management mechanism that is reusing the same session
> for a client that haven't submitted yet the save() ).

The API obviously suggests an implementation like that. This is however no
strict requirement, and the transient state can therefore be managed on either
side of the network link. The fact that JCR-RMI is a layer *on top of* the JCR
API makes it much easier to keep the transient state on the server side
than on
the client side, thus causing the performance issues. A network layer
that works
*below* the JCR API could easily be made much more efficient, but the downside
is that such a layer would be tightly bound to a single repository
implementation.

In fact it would be quite interesting to investigate the feasibility of such a
network layer for Jackrabbit. Do any of the other content repository
implementations implement anything like that? Is there general interest in a
such a feature? If there is enough interest we might want to consider
implementing something like that somewhere around Jackrabbit 1.2 or 2.0. :-)

>> [...]
>> the biggest performance issues by the time the Jackrabbit 1.0
>> release is made.
>
> Are we talking about something scheduled here :-) ?

:-) Well, you know the open source schedules, it's ready when it's ready...
Anyhow, I'd be surprised if JCR-RMI performance would not be much improved by
the end of this year. All sorts of help (bug reports, comments, docs, patches,
testing, etc.) is of course very much welcome.

As for the Jackrabbit 1.0 schedule, I'll get back to that soon enough in a
separate message.

BR,

Jukka Zitting