jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: Is JDBC persistence manager supported by jackrabbit?
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:33:20 GMT
Edgar Poce wrote:
> Hi nafise
>
>> is there any problem with this issue that discarded
>> for inclusion?!!!
>> I mean that,I think this is a realy necessary feature
>> having jdbc persistance manager with jackrabbit why
>> this issue is discarded?
>
> It doesn't mean that any JDBPersistenceManager implementation is
> discarded for inclusion, just the one proposed in JCR-91. You'll find
> more detailed info in the archives[1] and in the wiki[2].

Edgar,

Was trying to find more information following your references, but...

> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.jackrabbit.devel/1435

Points to JIRA which states [1]:

    Comment by Edgar Poce [12/Jul/05 06:00 AM]
    This kind of approach is discouraged by design

Can you please clarify your point? Or, may be point to the document / discussion
regarding the design?

> [2] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/PersistenceManagerFAQ

Points to Wiki page which does not clarify your POV either. It states though:

    The PM interface was never intended as being a general SPI that
    you could implement in order to integrate external datasources
    with proprietary formats (e.g. a customers database).

This raises the question, what is the recommended SPI to code against?

PS Wiki page has incorrect statement:

     XML PersistenceManager
       * Write operations are synchronized

AFAICS, XML PM (unnecessarily) syncronizes all calls, including load() and
exist() calls. Does it mean FileSystem interface considered to be single
threaded? Does not make much sense, though...

Thanks,
Vadim

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-91#action_12315534