jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: having to catch RepositoryException everywhere
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:52:28 GMT
On 8/8/05, Jeremy Stell-Smith <jeremystellsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I'm playing around w/ jackrabbit, and getting really annoyed that
> EVERYTHING throws a RepositoryException, and that RepositoryException
> is checked.  Has any thought been given to changing that?  Wasn't that
> one of the big problems w/ java's RMI?

most JCR implementations will probably be remote clients communicating
with a server, i.e. method calls can fail for a number of reasons
(network failure etc).
that's why most methods throw RepositoryException.

btw: the concept of the JCR api is very similar to the concept of JDBC
and AFAIK every JDBC method throws SQLException...

cheers
stefan