jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Viner <dvi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jackrabbit and webdav
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:55:54 GMT
Hi Raphael,

Sorry, I didn't formulate my original question very clearly.  I'm trying
to understand the differences between WebDAV and JSR-170.  Both seem to
serve very similar purposes.  But I don't understand the differences, or
why JSR-170 was developed after webdav.  I assume that there are some
functions that jcr offers that webdav does not, but I'm having trouble
seeing them.  The homepage http://incubator.apache.org/jackrabbit/ says
"Jackrabbit's implementation began as a proposal within the Jakarta
Slide <http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/index.html>project, but has since
attracted interest from multiple projects with the Apache Software
Foundation <http://www.apache.org/>, including Slide, Cocoon, Lenya, XML
Indexing, Axion, and Derby."  But it doesn't say why JackRabbit was
extracted from the Slide project (which is WebDAV).

Can anyone provide me with pointers to that history? Or provide a
summary of the split from WebDAV?

thanks
dave