jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: 'Lock obtain timed out' and redo log
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:10:05 GMT
Hi Christine,

Christine Morineau wrote:
> Sometimes, I get a  javax.jcr.RepositoryException: Lock obtain timed out
> when for exemple the application try to add a Node in the workspace. My
> repository seems to be unreachable.

There are two reasons why this can happen.

- you are using a an old build jackrabbit (svn < 216142 / juli 13). the
indicated revision contains a fix in case a commit lock is left behind.

- two repositories instances are running on the same directory

> I also get the message 'found uncommited redo log...' (and even twice).

this happens when the jvm quits without shutting down jackrabbit. If you
get the message you mentioned twice, that means you have two workspaces
or jackrabbit instances with uncommited index changes. usually the
search index can easily recover from this situation, unless the
underlying workspace data is corrupt.

> I presume that my search index is not closed properly. But how to close it
> properly?

That's usually the duty of the application server or servlet engine,
which manages resources.

> Is a session.logout() enough and where should i put it?

The search index is tied to a workspace. therefore closing a session has
no effect on the index.
To prevent messages like above you have to make sure that jackrabbit is
stopped properly when your server shuts down.

regards
  marcel