jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>
Subject Re: uploading large streams
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:34:06 GMT
Hi,

Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> not sure, but it seems that the RMI implementation of a binary value
> reads the data into memory.
> [...]
> maybe Jukka can shed some light on this.

Yes, that's true. The current implementation just slurps the entire
binary stream into memory and passes it over the network as a one big
byte array. The reason for this is simplicity and minimum amount of
network roundtrips, but the downside is the obvious limit on stream
sizes. A buffered "RemoteInputStream" is probably the best solution to
this problem. I'll take a look at this tomorrow.

BR,

Jukka Zitting