jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Searching by date (another problem)
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:15:56 GMT
Hi Jakub,

The coercing mechanism I mentioned, is actually only used for equals
and 'not equals' operations. sorry about my previous misleading post.
That means using just string literals in your query will not convert
them automatically into a date literal.

Now, the reason why you see a confusing behaviour is that the index
jackrabbit is using does not distinguish typed values. Lucene only
supports string values. That means everything has to be converted into a
string and can then be indexed.

E.g. the date: 2005-01-01T00:00:00.000Z is transformed into: mqyalhxc0
which is much shorter and allows lexicographical comparison

In case types for a certain property name get mixed up, it can happen
that the query returns nodes with property values that do not actually
match the query.

e.g. your example:

 > //*[@myDateProperty >= '2005-01-01T00:00:00.000Z']
 > the result set is always full

because the string literal is not coerced into a date it will select
most nodes with a myDateProperty, even those that have a date in the
year 2006. The index representation for 2006 is: 'mrcs57uo0' which is,
lexicographically compared, after '2005-01-01T00:00:00.000Z'.

So, this is some sort of a bug or enhancement. A possible solution is
probably to separate values of different types into separate lucene
fields. But that's something jackrabbit has to do internally.

In the meantime you have to stick with the type safe xs:dateTime usage.

regards
  marcel