jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Searching by date
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:11:00 GMT
Hi Jakub,

JSR-170 specifies a type mapping from property types to types known in
XPath. The relevant section in the spec is: 6.6.4.4

regarding your queries:

 > "//*[jcr:contains(@myDateProperty, '2005')]"

jcr:contains relies on the fulltext index, which is only required by
jsr-170 on a per node basis. still, jackrabbit supports fulltext queries
with a property scope. the reason why the above query does not return
results is, that jackrabbit does not fulltext index date properties. and
I think it is ok, that jackrabbit doesn't do that. your query would be
certainly convenient to find all dates of the year 2005, but that's
probably the only useful use case. when it comes to month and day a
fulltext index would be unable to distinguish them. both are just two
digit numbers.

 > "//*[jcr:like(@myDateProperty, '2005-%')]"

this query does not return nodes because jcr:like only works on string
properties and @myDateProperty is of type date.

what will work is the following:

//*[@myDateProperty >= xs:dateTime('2005-01-01T00:00:00.000TZ') and
@myDateProperty <= xs:dateTime('2005-12-31T23:59:59.999TZ')]

you may also omit the xs:dateTime functions because jackrabbit does some
basic value coercing, which includes string to date conversion:

//*[@myDateProperty >= '2005-01-01T00:00:00.000TZ' and @myDateProperty
<= '2005-12-31T23:59:59.999TZ']

regards
  marcel