jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: build problems
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:28:47 GMT
I've been trying to figure out how the site build should work,
given that restructuring the source completely broke my site
generation script. The maven documentation is too general to
provide any useful advice.

Basically, the current project file is hand-jiggered to work
for buildall but nothing else.  A more sensible plan would be
to use maven's multiproject feature across the entire tree.

Right now we have:

jackrabbit/
          ./api
          ./applications
          ./commons
          ./contrib
                  ./examples
                  ./jcr-commands
                  ./jcr-ext
                  ./jcr-rmi
                  ./jcr-server
                  ./jcrtaglib
                  ./orm-persistence
                  ./phpcr
                  ./tck-webapp
                  ./textfilters
                  ./vfs
          ./core
          ./src
              ./grammar
          ./target
          ./xdocs

Unfortunately, I don't know what half of those directories
are supposed to contain, nor how they would map to an ideal
navigation structure for our website.  In any case, the "contrib"
directory has become a place to dump code, which is bad.

Does anyone have a preference?  Should we try to stick with the
default maven (flat) layout for multiprojects, or subdivide the
project into layers (e.g., main, gateways, persistence managers,
connectors, misc), or use a flat layout with name prefixes
(e.g., jcr-main, pm-orm, pm-vfs, gw-webdav, etc.), or some
better idea that I haven't thought of yet?

I'd like to end up with something that is reasonably intuitive
when navigating the website.  I'd also like to avoid doing the
change in subversion more than once.  However, I don't want the
site to remain broken for too long, so if you have a strong
opinion one way or the other then please let me know ASAP.

I'll probably also switch to using Maven 1.1 beta, assuming it
works, unless there are any objections.

....Roy