jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Porting JSR-170 to .net
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:29:29 GMT
On Jul 19, 2005, at 7:37 AM, Walter Raboch wrote:

> as far as I unterstood Michael, the tool can't tranlate anything. He
> has to modify the method signatures to match get/setter paradigma of
> .net and use System.IO.Stream. Is this still automagically than or is
> it already authoring? where is the point of crossing the frontier?

There is no fixed point in copyright law.  Basically, it is when the
derived work has sufficient original content that it is generally
recognizable as an original work of its own, at which point the new
work has two copyrights (the original owner and the derivative owner).

Some translations, particularly into human languages, require some
original interpretation.  Computer languages do not -- they can all
be automated and thus are usually considered the same as the original
and not sufficient to be derivative.

Anyway, just submit a contributors agreement to the ASF and nobody
will care who actually owns the copyright.

....Roy