jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Porting JSR-170 to .net
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:22:58 GMT
On Jul 19, 2005, at 7:28 AM, David Nuescheler wrote:
> is it legal to have code that this copyrighted by day in jackrabbit?

Yes, almost all of the code in jackrabbit is still owned by Day.
The only stuff that isn't is the collective work (Jackrabbit) and
stuff that non-Day contributors have added.  Apache's contributor
agreement is an irrevocable copyright *license*, not a copyright
assignment.

> would it from a legal perspective be better not to use a tool
> for conversion to be able to sign the copyright over to the asf?

Only the copyright owner can assign copyright (the exclusive right
to control reproduction).  Day can do that for anything it owns.
Apache only requires a non-exclusive license, so that is what Day
signed in the CCLA agreement.

Day changed the copyright notice to the Apache Software Foundation
because we feel it is in the best interests of the project to have
a single collective work copyright notice instead of one for every
owner of copyright.

....Roy