jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "James Myers" <qqmy...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: associations between nodes
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:13:53 GMT
>hi jim,
> > Prof Mazzochi sounds 'way off' ;-) ,
>well, so be it ;)
>i just thought that something like this could address michaels idea
>of the bi-directional references.
Absolutely - the example was fine, I was just concerned about Stephano being
allowed to 'officially' mess with students'minds :-)
> > but thats how I've seen references - as the way to encode RDF. I forget
> > far we backed off in the final spec, but the idea of including a
> > clause in the query language was a way to let you query along graphs.
>agreed. with respect to query languages we certainly have the liberty
>to extend beyond the spec in jackrabbit. but maybe jcr:deref() is what
>you were looking for.

I think that's where consensus led us - jcr:deref allows you to 'manually'
traverse references to find things. The 'following' clause in the query
language was intended to let you substitute named reference relationships in
for the parent/child relationship in search, so one could formulate a query
along the lines of "find all works where creator = bob that are 'derived
from' /a/b/c" where 'derived from' would be a reference property and you'd
want to recursively dereference nodes linked by 'derived by' looking for
those created by Bob. While useful, there were/are valid concerns about this
being 'expensive', 'following' being nonstandard, etc. so it was pulled out
with the possibility that it could be added back in an alternate query

> > I don't think there's as clean a way to deal with all of RDF (e.g.
> > (statements about statements), anonymous nodes), but I think references
> > could work reasonably well for general triples.
>sounds reasonable to me....

View raw message