jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: javax.jcr.RepositoryException 1252: unable to update item
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:47:25 GMT
hi richard,

On 7/26/05, Richard Osbaldeston <richard.osbaldeston@wordmap.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>           Managed to get our repository up & running on Windows, but
> after populating it
> with the contents of a file system (fairly large 400mb worth) the
> performance dropped through
> the floor and JackRabbit would silently hang. It'd take nearly two hours
> just to delete the
> repository files with rm -rf and more to re-populate again. NTFS was
> obviously struggling with
> just the automatically directory structure.

yep, doesn't surprise me;)

> So I've tried to move over to a linux box (same build files #224710)
> things appear to work as expected for a small 200k teaser, but
> attempting a population with the same script used under Windows fails
> with an odd javax.jcr.RepositoryException after half and hour to an
> hours worth of heavy loading.. wondering if anyone can cast some light
> on the likely causes for the following exception?

out of disk space?

> Caught: com.wordmap.classification.repository.RepositoryException:
> javax.jcr.RepositoryException: /1252: unable to update item.: failed to
> store
> property state:
> 551dbb73-119f-429c-a72b-8044afc2d2bb/{http://www.jcp.org/jcr/1.0}created:
> failed
> to create folder
> /tmp/jcr-repository/workspaces/filestore-1.0/data/551d/bb73/119f429ca72b8044afc2
> d2bb : failed to store property state:
> 551dbb73-119f-429c-a72b-8044afc2d2bb/{http://www.jcp.org/jcr/1.0}created:
> failed
> to create folder
> /tmp/jcr-repository/workspaces/filestore-1.0/data/551d/bb73/119f429ca72b8044afc2
> d2bb - Notification of EventListeners stopped. - Notification of
> EventListeners
> stopped. - Notification of EventListeners stopped.

a full stack trace would certainly help investigating this issue.

do you have enough disk space?
did you try to import the exact same set of files & folders on a windows box?
did the same problem occur on the windows box too?
is it a specific file that causes the problem?

please try the following to further narrow down the problem:

- use CQFS
- use ObjectPersistenceManager

> I'm using the basic LocalFileSystem implementation here with the
> XMLPersistenceManager, suspect the serialized object PM might also
> improve performance,

that would certainly be the case. XMLPersistenceManager is not recommended
for production use because of its parsing overhead and disk footprint.

> CQFS would be a non-starter as I'm investigating
> JackRabbit/JCR for a potential commercial product. I've managed to turn
> off the indexing (commented out of the repository.xml) as we shouldn't
> need it just yet, but trying to remove versioning threw errors
> (mandatory configuration?)

just don't use mix:versionable for your imported nodes.

cheers
stefan