jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: common libraries for jcr and jackrabbit (NodeType-Constants)
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:37:11 GMT
On 7/6/05, Tobias Strasser <tobias.strasser@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Angela Schreiber wrote:
> > > since the new commons with the main-jackrabbit source
> > > now causes problems, i would like to have that
> > > interface defining some constants being available
> > > in the jackrabbit-commons, so i could remove the
> > > commons in jcr-server.
> >
> > +1, as explained in the message forwarded by Angela.
> >
> > Additionally, I'd like to refactor the internal Jackrabbit nodetype
> > object model and the nodetype XML format code into jackrabbit-commons.
> > I've already done this work for the contrib/jcr-ext package to be used
> > for my JCR adapter projects, but having a shared codebase with
> > Jackrabbit would be _so_ much better.
>
> that would be cool.
>
> additionally, i thought of a more jcr-like way for an xml format of
> the nodetypes. why not using the docview serialization of the
> respective nt:nodeType nodes that represent the nodetype? the
> advantage would be, that the format and structure are already
> indirectly defined within jcr, export and import are also available in
> jackrabbit.

using docview serialization sounds like a good idea. however docview is
not guaranteed to safely roundtrip. e.g. there's the problem with multi-valued
properties. according to the spec it's up to the implementation how it
should handle those on export/import.

also, i'd rather not stretch the already very complicated semantics of
Session/Workspace.importXML with new features like 'auto-register node
types'.
node type management should IMO be the sole responsability of a
dedicated NodeTypeRegistry.

cheers
stefan