jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Porting JSR-170 to .net
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:21:19 GMT
On Jul 19, 2005, at 7:03 AM, David Nuescheler wrote:
>> On Jul 19, 2005, at 6:50 AM, Michael Singer wrote:
>>> For the moment I can provide the quick port with the replaced
>>> copyright
>>> and namespace if you want.
>> What replaced copyright?  If you used a tool to translate it,
>> the code is still under our copyright.
> i think the copyright in the source of the jsr api is day's.
> this is why we changed it to the apache license for the
> php stuff, but certainly you are the expert in those matters.
> i don't know if there is a way to use day's jcp licenses in the
> apache source repository? so far we were able to avoid that.

The copyright is still owned by Day.  What Day did was license
a work to the ASF which now contains both Day's copyrighted material
and a collective work copyright for Apache.

Regardless, if a tool was used to translate Java code to C#,
the copyright on the C# code must be the same as the Java code
because tools do not author.  That is copyright law.  It is the
same as the translation from Java source to jvm byte codes, or
from C to binaries.

....Roy