jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Huber <shub...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: Considering Jackrabbit
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:36:26 GMT

Hi David, andy,

David Nuescheler wrote:

>to me it seems like we have a number of people on this list
>asking for a jdbc persistence manager, but the one that we
>have (the "orm pm") does not receive enough development
>support by all those people that are interested in it?
>
>if that really is the case then i would suggest that some
>of the people that are using the orm pm are pitching in to
>catch up with the rest of jackrabbit and make it
>"production ready" ( whatever that means for an
>unreleased project ;) )

Thanks David, I'm glad somebody else than me is saying that :) (for
those not in-the-know, I've been working on the initial implementation
of the ORM-PM.

>i think that having another jdbc approach without scraping
>the orm pm will only spread the seemingly small *developer*
>base interested in supporting rdbms backed repositories even
>thinner.

I wonder btw whatever happened to the iBatis implementation that was
done a while ago ? Any news ?

Anyway, my take on DB-based persistence managers is that they need :
- a caching system for performance
- to be able to handle transactions
- to be able to handle commit/rollback
- use mapping files to be able to change the table and column names as
they might conflict
- be as high-performance as possible (although we will always have the
performance cost of network traffic)
- allow for clustering

In those criteria, an ORM-based implementation seams reasonable,
especially the Hibernate one. It is perfectly possible to do all this
without an ORM, but it would mean re-developping part of an ORM anyway.

And as always, in terms of speed : memory > filesystem > db :)

Regards,
  Serge Huber.