jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: jackrabbit deployment model 1
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:22:57 GMT
Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> i had a quick glance at JBoss Cache as well. i agree that it looks
> promising, but not for use in jackrabbit's core.
>
> for one JBoss Cache is hierarchical (i.e. path-based) whereas jackrabbit's
> internal data model is flat (id-based).

I don't know JBoss Cache in detail, but as far as I can see you may use
it also with a flat data model. In the end it's an id anyway, whether it
is a path or a simple string.

> i don't think that crucial components at the very core should be pluggable.
> the contract of SharedItemStateManager is quite complex. if it's not
> implemented correctly the stability and integrity of the repository is at
> great risk. do you know of any rdbms engine that supports pluggable
> caches for its internal row buffers? i don't.

I still think that the contract for the SharedItemStateManager can be
described in a very concise way and that also applies to the cache it is
using. Once those contracts are described I don't see a reason why it
shouldn't be possible to use another implementation.

>>With the risk that someone will probably try to kill me on monday I
>
> ;)

btw, that's not the reason why I'm working from home today.
It's the U2 concert in zurich tonight ;)

regards
  marcel