jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Huber <shub...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: jackrabbit deployment model 1
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:02:57 GMT
Marcel Reutegger wrote:

> I had a look at JBoss Cache the other day, and I think it looks
> promissing indeed.
> With the risk that someone will probably try to kill me on monday I
> opened a jira issue to start a more technical discussion about
> clustering and what is needed to make this possible in jackrabbit:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-169

Funny, I've just been comparing cache system, especially for clustering
needs. JBoss Cache is interesting, although a bit peculiar in it's
implementation. I think that Jackrabbit should not become specific to a
cache implementation though, and use an interface to caches, such as
what has been done in Hibernate and OJB for cache providers (example of
OSCache provider for Hibernate here :
http://www.opensymphony.com/oscache/wiki/Hibernate%20Cache%20Provider.html
and
http://www.opensymphony.com/oscache/wiki/Hibernate%20Cache%20Adapter.html).

There are tons of cache implementations out there, ranging from very
light-weight to full-blown commercial ones. One of the most interesting
concepts in recent caches in the notion of cache groups, which allows
for "categorization" of cache entries, so that flushing can be done on
one group (or category). Unfortunately there is no standard for this
feature and I haven't found an equivalent in JBoss Cache (I looked at
building groups as sub nodes, but somehow it doesn't work the same way).

The nice thing about JBoss cache is that it handles transactions over a
cluster, so that makes it very interesting for highly critical scenarios.

Regards,
  Serge Huber.