jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Walter Raboch <wrab...@ingen.at>
Subject Re: best practise for multi language support
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:06:02 GMT
Hi Edgar,

> IMHO there's already a best practice and it's out of the jcr scope[1].
> Moreover, there are tools for extending the default localization
> capabilities[2]. And if you stick to the standards there are GUIs that
> might help you to edit your i18n texts [3].

I think you misunderstood me. I donĀ“t want to internationalize the
application itself (it is already) but the data. We develop a learning
platform for one of our customers and we want to provide the learning
content (scripts, audio, video, descriptions, pictures, ... ) in at
least 2 languages (English, German). A future requirement is even Chinese.
So it is a matter of how to design the node types to store user data ?

> But it's not my intention to discourage you, on the contrary I think
> there's an interesting role for jcr regarding i18n. A ResourceBundle
> backed by a jcr impl might be useful, WDYT?. It could provide many
> features that would ease i18n and l10n management.

We debated to store the Resources in the repository too. But decided
against to seperate the application version specific language strings
from user data. At least in the first step.

cheers,
Walter