jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting ...@yukatan.fi>
Subject Re: build problems
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:33:31 GMT
Hi,

Some quick notes.

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Right now we have:
> [...]
> Unfortunately, I don't know what half of those directories
> are supposed to contain, nor how they would map to an ideal
> navigation structure for our website.  In any case, the "contrib"
> directory has become a place to dump code, which is bad.

I was just thinking about updating the xdocs/layout.xml document for the
same reason. :-) You are right in that the directory and navigation
structure could use some gardening. Using the multiproject plugin sounds
like a good idea.

About the contrib dir. Should we promote some of the more mature contrib
projects as "official" Jackrabbit subprojects? I believe jcr-rmi,
jcr-server, and orm-persistence to be the most active contrib projects
at the moment and could well be "promoted". The rest of the contrib
projects could then be reviewed for whether to keep or drop them. For
example the goals of the jcr-ext package will soon be covered by the
jackrabbit-commons library. I'd like to see the contrib dir as a
"sandbox" for developing interesting ideas and contributions. A project
should be kept in contrib until a proper decision can be made on whether
to keep or drop it.

> Does anyone have a preference?  Should we try to stick with the
> default maven (flat) layout for multiprojects, or subdivide the
> project into layers (e.g., main, gateways, persistence managers,
> connectors, misc), or use a flat layout with name prefixes
> (e.g., jcr-main, pm-orm, pm-vfs, gw-webdav, etc.), or some
> better idea that I haven't thought of yet?

I generally like flat layouts more, but don't really have a good opinion
for Jackrabbit.

> I'd like to end up with something that is reasonably intuitive
> when navigating the website.  I'd also like to avoid doing the
> change in subversion more than once.  However, I don't want the
> site to remain broken for too long, so if you have a strong
> opinion one way or the other then please let me know ASAP.

How about something like the following for web navigation?

     General
         The current documentation and other general info
     Jackrabbit implementation
         Documentation of the core, api, and (perhaps) commons packages.
     Additional modules
         Documentation of the "promoted" contrib subprojects

> I'll probably also switch to using Maven 1.1 beta, assuming it
> works, unless there are any objections.

No objections here.

BR,

Jukka Zitting