jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting ...@yukatan.fi>
Subject Re: Workspaces and XPath 2.0
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:22:24 GMT

Walter Breidenstein wrote:
> Can anyone help me to understand the idea behind workspaces and the
> reason to have more than one workspace?

Workspaces are used to divide a content repository into one or more
independent sections. For example, a CMS that supports hosting for a
number of customers might allocate a separate workspace for each
customer. Or a CMS that supports staging-live setups might reserve one
workspace as the authoring area and another as the publicly visible
version of the managed content.

If your content repository supports such concepts, then you'd probably
do well to include them in your JCR implementation. Otherwise it is
relatively straightforward to implement a dummy default workspace that
contains all the content in your content repository.

> "However there is one serious thing which requires more carefull
> considerartion: *XPath query* specified by level 1. Initially we added
> only basic support for the simple XPath queries. The TCK uses more
> advanced XPath and so tests are failing. JSR-170 uses XPath 2.0
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/> which is still in "working draft"."

JSR-170 requires a relatively compact XPath subset as detailed in
section 6.6.4 of the JCR specification. Not knowing the extent of your
existing implementation, I can't tell how much more work would be
required to pass the Level 1 requirements.

PS. I'd like to encourage your developers to direct any questions or
problems they have to this list. I'm sure that there are many people (me
included) taking on the same issues, and it would only benefit us all to
share the answers and best practices that surface.

Jukka Zitting

View raw message