jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Workflow
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2005 15:00:54 GMT
hi miro,

> In the spirit of using JSR-170 as a component service in a larger CMS
> application, has anyone had any experience with open source workflow
> engines that could be integrated into a JSR-170 based application? I've
> googled a bit and found quite a few out there, but I wondered if anyone
> in this community had any experiences (good or bad) they could share? I
> wouldn't for a minute suggest that workflow should be built into JSR-170
> itself, but friendly co-existence could be very useful.
i completely agree, and i think quite a while ago we already started
a discussion about that on this list.

my personal take on this matter would be:

a) have a couple of nodetypes that define the nodes needed to
describe a workflow, like a workflow, a workflowstep, ...
with anything needed to express parallel workflows, nested workflows etc...

b) have a mixin "workflowable" to point (using references) to the the individual
workflow steps, to refect which step a particular node is in plus a set of
historical information. i think this would allow to put any node into a
workflow.

and with respect to making applications interoperable, i think the
best thing would
be to just publish this set of nodetypes somewhere (for example in
jackrabbit ;))
together with the respective wrapper java classes to manipulate things...

thoughts?

regards,
david