jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Miro Walker" <miro.wal...@oyster.com>
Subject RE: Workflow
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 14:46:56 GMT
David,

I haven't fully thought this through yet, but I think the idea of
nodetypes to define workflows and workflowsteps would be a good start as
a way to define workflow templates. That definition would define the
state transition information between workflowsteps. However, it may be
necessary to separately model an instance of a workflow template for a
specific target, and a mixin that simply points from nodes to
workflowsteps as a many to one relationship might not be sufficient for
all applications.

The scenario I have in mind would require each node to (potentially) be
in a different state for multiple releases. Thus a node might be
approved for publication in Release 1, but still require approval for
Release 2. It's also possible that multiple workflows could apply to a
single node (e.g. standard release workflow vs. emergency release
workflow).

Thus the mixin type may need to define a collection of
workflowstepinstances that apply to the node, where each
workflowstepinstance would define the state of the node with respect to
a specific target.

Does that make any sense or is it too complex for a generic case? Any
comments?

Cheers,

Miro