jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Miro Walker" <miro.wal...@oyster.com>
Subject RE: Contributing PHP port of JSR 170
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 09:50:51 GMT
Alan,

I'd say we gain quite a bit from having other ports of JSR-170. The idea
of JSR-170 is to provide a common interface to content repositories
irrespective of vendor. If some of these repositories have user bases
that are more PHP-oriented, then a PHP port will encourage uptake.

This will also help propagate the concept of separation of content
repository from content management application - again, surely a good
thing, as it will result in more robust repositories and get people to
focus more on interesting applications.

Cheers,

Miro

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Mehio [mailto:alan_mehio@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: 03 June 2005 11:43
To: jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org; david.nuescheler@day.com
Subject: Re: Contributing PHP port of JSR 170

What benefits we again by porting JSR 170 into PHP which is not an OO
language.

Cheers
Alan
London

David Nuescheler <david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would agree in general, but IIRC Sun is not happy about JSR's being
> copied to other platforms. In particular, I heard that a JDO vendor
who
> ported their project to .Net was threatened with a lawsuit and had to
> withdraw. I would recommend that you check the legalities of it before
> doing too much work.

interesting aspect. i think we should certainly look into that.

i think since sun as the spec-lead of jdo is the owner of the
intellectual
property of the jdo spec they are in a position to do that.

i can assure you that we as the spec-lead of jsr-170 have no
intention to sue anybody who ports jsr-170 to a different language,
as a matter of fact we are encouraging it ;)

additionally, since we license the jsr-170 under the apache license some
of the licensing terms should already be taken care of... right?

of course i am not a lawyer so i may be completely wrong here...
maybe some of the more licensing savvy people can help us here.

regards,
david

.ps: if someone would like to contribute a .NET port of jsr-170...
of course subject to the concerns that rickard raised.

Yahoo! Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PCcalling worldwide with
voicemail

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Oyster Partners Ltd does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Oyster Partners Ltd.