jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Persistent Metadata?
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:15:47 GMT
hi mike,

On 6/14/05, Daglian, Michael (IT) <Michael.Daglian@morganstanley.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Apologies if this question has been asked before but I could not find
> any references in the archives. It appears from the current Jackrabbit
> implementation that metadata resources such as node types and the root
> UUID must be stored in a FileSystem (or using a class implementing the
> FileSystem interface to be specific). However, it would be useful to be
> able to persist these definitions in some other storage medium (e.g. a
> database) for the purposes of availability, replication, etc. that major
> DB vendors provide. The FileSystem interface seems ill-suited towards
> this usage so I was wondering if anyone had explored other options for
> persistent storage of this metadata. Thanks!

i don't think that the FileSystem interface is ill-suited. i would
argue that any
backend will eventually store the data in a file system. you wouldn't expect
an rdbms to provide the possibility of storing its internal schema data in
another backend.

please remember that jackrabbit was not designed to be some framework/layer
on top of an existing legacy sytem. jackrabbit was designed from scratch to
be a repository in its own right.

cheers
stefan

> Best Regards,
>
> -- Mike
>
> NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender does not waive
confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.