jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Jackrabbit Wiki] Update of "PersistenceManagerFAQ" by edgarpoce
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:12:01 GMT
On 6/9/05, Simon Gash <Simon.Gash@gossinteractive.com> wrote:
> I don't think that's right either. It's the wrong way round, its up to
> the developer to make sure the decision about what is 'best' as a type
> of persistence manager. There is no way any of us could know already how
> to measure what is 'best' for any other developers particular situation.
>
> Sorry to be so pedantic but flexibility of storage is a huge strength of
> the jackrabbit software (and of the JSR 170). Getting the developer to
> make the right decision for their own particular problems is the trick
> bit.

me too sorry to be so pedantic ;) the role of the PM in jackrabbit
(at least as  i originally designed it) is comparable to the role of
that layer in a rdbms that reads and writes raw table/record data to/from the
disk (e.g. tablespace files in oracle). you wouldn't expect oracle to store
the raw table/record data in ORM instead of its tablespace files i guess.
btw, edgar's PM FAQ quite nicely explains the role of the PM in jackrabbit.

cheers
stefan

> Simon

Technology Fast 500 EMEA.

> This email contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be legally privileged.
>

> Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as information may
be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete or contain viruses.
This email and any files attached to it have been checked with virus detection software before
viruses.