jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Gash" <Simon.G...@gossinteractive.com>
Subject RE: Two problems
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:21:12 GMT
Does this mean an index is created the first time a node is queried and
then held in memory. If so wouldn't that adversely affect the start up
of the repository ??? Or am I needlessly worrying about this ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Reutegger [mailto:marcel.reutegger@gmx.net]
Sent: 16 June 2005 11:11
To: jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Two problems

Miklos Pocsaji wrote:
> 2. I started writing a TextFilter which knows how to extract text from

> PDF (I implemented the TextFilter interface). It is simple, I only
> have to return a java.io.Reader from which Jackrabbit extracts text.
> Obvious and ugly method would be to extract a text to a string and
> then return a StringReader but this would require a lot of memory. I
> decided to use PiperReader-PipedWriter - a separate thread writes the
> text to a PipedWriter and I return the PipedReader instance from the
> doFilter() method. It seems that Jackrabbit won't read through the
> passed stream immediately.

Indexing of nodes is buffered in jackrabbit. this may mean that nodes
are not added to the index until a query is issued.

As far as I can see you have to make sure that the PipedWriter is not
closed until the PipedReader is closed.

regards
  marcel

Come visit us at:

Internet World 2005. June 14 - 16, Earls Court, Stand # A60

Government Computing Expo. June 21 & 22, Earls Court, Stand # 804

SOCITM Annual Event. October 16 - 18 Brighton Hotel, Stand # 28
GOSS - Ranked 4th in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Awards 2004 and 88th in the Deloitte
Technology Fast 500 EMEA.

This email contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be legally privileged.

Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as information may be
intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete or contain viruses. This
email and any files attached to it have been checked with virus detection software before
viruses.