jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Gash" <Simon.G...@gossinteractive.com>
Subject RE: [Jackrabbit Wiki] Update of "PersistenceManagerFAQ" by edgarpoce
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:13:56 GMT

I'm still trying to grasp some of the concepts here, are you saying it's
the ORM mapping layer that's the overhead here. Hence it would be better
to design a simple schema (if that's possible) and avoid all the mapping
stuff that comes with Hibernate or JDO stuff ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Guggisberg [mailto:stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com]
Sent: 09 June 2005 14:24
To: jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Jackrabbit Wiki] Update of "PersistenceManagerFAQ" by

On 6/9/05, Serge Huber <shuber2@jahia.com> wrote:
> Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> >me too sorry to be so pedantic ;) the role of the PM in jackrabbit
> >(at least as  i originally designed it) is comparable to the role of
> >that layer in a rdbms that reads and writes raw table/record data
> >to/from the disk (e.g. tablespace files in oracle). you wouldn't
> >expect oracle to store the raw table/record data in ORM instead of
its tablespace files i guess.
> >btw, edgar's PM FAQ quite nicely explains the role of the PM in
> >

> The problem as I see it is that RDBMS handle also all the transaction,

> clustering, caching, replication, backup etc. This makes for a lot of
> complexity. If we do the same in Jackrabbit this means that we will be

> reproducing a lot of what lower storage systems (like JDBC) can
> already do no ?

i am not saying that jackrabbit should provide implementations of such
services on the persistence layer. a lot of powerfull yet simple storage
systems can provide this kind of functionality without introducing a lot
of overhead. take for example berkeley db or mysql. on the other hand i
don't believe that using an object relational db would gain any benefits
but only introduce a lot of unnecessary complexity. you can easily (and
efficiently;) persist jackrabbit's data (NodeState, PropertyState &
NodeReferences objects) in a primitive schema with three 2-column tables
and still benefit from transactions, etc. provided by your storage

> Just trying to understand :)
> cheers,
>   Serge...

Come visit us at:
Internet World 2005. June 14 - 16, Earls Court, Stand # A60

Government Computing Expo. June 21 & 22, Earls Court, Stand # 804

SOCITM Annual Event. October 16 - 18 Brighton Hotel, Stand # 28
GOSS - Ranked 4th in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Awards 2004 and 88th in the Deloitte
Technology Fast 500 EMEA.

This email contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be legally privileged.

Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as information may be
intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete or contain viruses. This
email and any files attached to it have been checked with virus detection software before