jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Gash" <Simon.G...@gossinteractive.com>
Subject RE: [Jackrabbit Wiki] Update of "PersistenceManagerFAQ" by edgarpoce
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:40:53 GMT
Ah I see what you mean it's a very good analogy. I guess I view
JackRabbit differently.

Not being at the beginning of the project (joining 6 months ago) I came
to it from a different angle. Having worked with RDBMS for the last 15
years does make you a bit biased. I've always seen it as a much better
data dictionary minus the storage bit.

I think there will be an adoption problem if I ask my client's to drop
their RDBMS vendor in favour of a relatively new storage and retrieval
technology. Then there's the problem with all those dba's...  ;)

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Guggisberg [mailto:stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com]
Sent: 09 June 2005 12:12
To: jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Jackrabbit Wiki] Update of "PersistenceManagerFAQ" by
edgarpoce

On 6/9/05, Simon Gash <Simon.Gash@gossinteractive.com> wrote:
> I don't think that's right either. It's the wrong way round, its up to

> the developer to make sure the decision about what is 'best' as a type

> of persistence manager. There is no way any of us could know already
> how to measure what is 'best' for any other developers particular
situation.

> Sorry to be so pedantic but flexibility of storage is a huge strength
> of the jackrabbit software (and of the JSR 170). Getting the developer

> to make the right decision for their own particular problems is the
> trick bit.

me too sorry to be so pedantic ;) the role of the PM in jackrabbit (at
least as  i originally designed it) is comparable to the role of that
layer in a rdbms that reads and writes raw table/record data to/from the
disk (e.g. tablespace files in oracle). you wouldn't expect oracle to
store the raw table/record data in ORM instead of its tablespace files i
guess.
btw, edgar's PM FAQ quite nicely explains the role of the PM in
jackrabbit.

cheers
stefan

> Simon

the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 EMEA.

> This email contains proprietary information, some or all of which may
be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please
notify the author by replying to this email. If you are not the intended
recipient you may not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on
this email.

> Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as
information may be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete or contain viruses. This email and any files attached to
it have been checked with virus detection software before transmission.
You should nonetheless carry out your own virus check before opening any
attachment. GOSS Interactive Ltd accepts no liability for any loss or
damage that may be caused by software viruses.