jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Gash" <Simon.G...@gossinteractive.com>
Subject RE: [Jackrabbit Wiki] Update of "PersistenceManagerFAQ" by edgarpoce
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 10:56:32 GMT
I don't think that's right either. It's the wrong way round, its up to
the developer to make sure the decision about what is 'best' as a type
of persistence manager. There is no way any of us could know already how
to measure what is 'best' for any other developers particular situation.

Sorry to be so pedantic but flexibility of storage is a huge strength of
the jackrabbit software (and of the JSR 170). Getting the developer to
make the right decision for their own particular problems is the trick
bit.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Serge Huber [mailto:shuber2@jahia.com]
Sent: 09 June 2005 11:39
To: jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Jackrabbit Wiki] Update of "PersistenceManagerFAQ" by
edgarpoce

If I may, I think just changing the phrasing to something like :

Persistence managers that store the item states in a complex schema are
not the best option for most users.

Regards,
  Serge Huber.

ps : my schema is not that complex :) And I will probably in later
version adopt something similar to Edgar's JDBC schema (with one table
per property type).

Stefan Guggisberg wrote:

>hi edgar
>first of all thanks for this very informative and usefull FAQ.
>i only have one comment:
>

>>=== What about ORM-backed PMs? ===
>>Persistence managers that store the item states in a complex schema
>>are not the right way to go. Keep it simple, e.g. the
>>objectPersistenceManager stores the item states as a raw stream of
bytes.

>i remember having said something like that in a previous thread. this
>is my very personal view and allthough i still think it is correct i'd
>rather like to have it understood as a recommendation, not an absolute
>statement. what do you think?
>
>thanks
>stefan

Come visit us at:

Internet World 2005. June 14 - 16, Earls Court, Stand # A60

Government Computing Expo. June 21 & 22, Earls Court, Stand # 804

SOCITM Annual Event. October 16 - 18 Brighton Hotel, Stand # 28
GOSS - Ranked 4th in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Awards 2004 and 88th in the Deloitte
Technology Fast 500 EMEA.

This email contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be legally privileged.

Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as information may be
intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete or contain viruses. This
email and any files attached to it have been checked with virus detection software before
viruses.