jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <Felix.Meschber...@day.com>
Subject Re: ObservationManager for JCR-RMI
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:23:38 GMT
Hi,

> Very nice, thanks! I'll give it a go and commit your changes later
> today. Some comments:

Thanks.

> - Were the project.xml formatting changes deliberate or just caused by
> an XML tool?

They were caused by Mevenide/Eclipse. I fixed them by just adding the
new dependency

> - You added concurrent and commons-logging as dependencies. If
> possible, I'd like to find a ways to keep the dependencies at a
> minimum (the Xerces dependency is a necessary evil). Logging is a
> reasonable addition, but if there is a simple way to replace the
> Concurrent classes with standard Java classes then I'd be happy to
> make those changes.

Ok, I only used the Channel class from the concurrent library. So I
implemented a simple replacement based on a LinkedList.

> - Some of the files contain a Day-specific copyright statement. Could
> you please replace them with the Jackrabbit copyright header and
> resend the patch? I cannot commit them as they are, and don't want to
> go changing your copyrights. :-)

Oops, fixed.

> - Out of curiosity, did you think about solving the listener problem
> by using a remote listener interface instead of the polling solution?
> This was my initial idea but I never got around to trying it out for
> real.

Yes my first approach was to try to implement it like this. But I could
not find or imagine a way for the server placing an RMI call to the
client without having to register an RMI object on the client side, as
the mechanism of listeners is a call-back from server to client. I also
consider this "back-connection" somewhat problematic.

> Overall I'm very happy with this addition. Observation support has
> been on my mental TODO list for quite a while, and seeing it done is
> good news indeed!

Great :-)

Attached is a patch which fixes the issues regarding the plugin.xml,
copyright messages and the concurrent dependency.

Regards
Felix