jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Huber <shub...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: Workspace name and code was: ORM-based persistence contrib build problems
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:04:00 GMT

Hi all,

Still thinking about this implementation, I think I found a small
limitation in the current implementation. If I create a "code" for a
workspace name, and let's say a new workspace is created using the
Workspace.createWorkspace or Session.createWorkspace methods, I will
then associate a new code with the new workspace. Up to there all is
fine. Now it seems that Jackrabbit does not (yet?) manage the full
lifecycle of workspaces, or I haven't been able to find methods that
delete workspaces. The problem is that the PM should be notified of
this, otherwise there will be left-over data in the back-end. As far as
I could tell this problem would also arise with Filesystem-based PMs.

For the moment, if I understand this correctly, in the default
implementation and configuration, new workspaces will be created in the
repository/ directory. When using FS-based implementation, deleting a
workspace is trivial, you could simply shutdown Jackrabbit, delete the
workspace directory and all would be well (from what I read we might
also be able to "dispose" of a workspace, but I don't know if this is
correct) and then remove the files. Of course this is a bit manual and
not ideal for scenarios where the repository must have good uptimes.

In the case of a "disconnected" back-end such as a database, this
operation has to be done through the PM.

I should emphasis that I know this is not part of JCR, I'm only looking
at this from a Jackrabbit point of view. The other interim solution
would simply to let the data rot in the DB, in a disconnected state, but
that's not ideal either. The one nice thing about using different
database schemas mapped to workspaces is that disposing of a workspace
is easily done by a DB admin, but there is no SQL standard for managing
schemas.

Any corrections/input on this would be more than welcome !

Regards,
  Serge Huber.