jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Huber <shub...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: [Jackrabbit Wiki] Update of "PersistenceManagerFAQ" by edgarpoce
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:49:35 GMT
Stefan Guggisberg wrote:

>me too sorry to be so pedantic ;) the role of the PM in jackrabbit
>(at least as  i originally designed it) is comparable to the role of
>that layer in a rdbms that reads and writes raw table/record data to/from the
>disk (e.g. tablespace files in oracle). you wouldn't expect oracle to store
>the raw table/record data in ORM instead of its tablespace files i guess.
>btw, edgar's PM FAQ quite nicely explains the role of the PM in jackrabbit.

The problem as I see it is that RDBMS handle also all the transaction,
clustering, caching, replication, backup etc. This makes for a lot of
complexity. If we do the same in Jackrabbit this means that we will be
reproducing a lot of what lower storage systems (like JDBC) can already
do no ?

Just trying to understand :)

cheers,
  Serge...