jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Mehio <alan_me...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Contributing PHP port of JSR 170
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 09:43:02 GMT
What benefits we again by porting JSR 170 into PHP which is not an OO language.

Cheers
Alan
London

David Nuescheler <david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would agree in general, but IIRC Sun is not happy about JSR's being
> copied to other platforms. In particular, I heard that a JDO vendor who
> ported their project to .Net was threatened with a lawsuit and had to
> withdraw. I would recommend that you check the legalities of it before
> doing too much work.

interesting aspect. i think we should certainly look into that.

i think since sun as the spec-lead of jdo is the owner of the intellectual
property of the jdo spec they are in a position to do that.

i can assure you that we as the spec-lead of jsr-170 have no
intention to sue anybody who ports jsr-170 to a different language,
as a matter of fact we are encouraging it ;)

additionally, since we license the jsr-170 under the apache license some
of the licensing terms should already be taken care of... right?

of course i am not a lawyer so i may be completely wrong here...
maybe some of the more licensing savvy people can help us here.

regards,
david

.ps: if someone would like to contribute a .NET port of jsr-170...
of course subject to the concerns that rickard raised.