jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: common libraries for jcr and jackrabbit
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 10:50:20 GMT
> >or we should start thinking of a jackrabbit-api. that would contain
> >also those classes.
> >
> >however:
> >- what is the general feeling about this?
> >

> I see no reason for a Jackrabbit API except perhaps regarding the
> NodeType Management stuff, which would be nice if it would be available
> in a way that for example the RMI layer could also provide those without
> relying on core Jackrabbit.

i think a public jackrabbit API beyond jsr-170 would be a very healthy and
good thing, see http://incubator.apache.org/jackrabbit/arch/overview.html

i think this goes beyond nodetype management, it is really all the
functions that have been removed from the jcr api but we have a general
consensus that it a repository has to implement them in one form or
another.

this includes obviously things like nodetype mgmt, workspace mgmt,
access control but possibly also things like synchronous observation,
or parameters on stored queries.
those could all be candidates for inclusion in future versions
of the general jcr api.

generally, i think we should express somehow which jackrabbit
specific features a "jackrabbit application developer" should use.
currently this is not clearly visible in the jackrabbit java doc, since
there are a variety of reasons to make something "public".

regards,
david