jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe Girolami" <philippe.girol...@digiplug.com>
Subject RE: Performance issues of using "object" repository rather than "orm"
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 13:25:28 GMT
> XA support is implemented in a higher level in jackrabbit. you'll have XA
> support in jackrabbit independant of your choice of PM. what i meant by
> 'non-transactional' is that the underlying store (in that case
> the file system)
> is not transaction capable.
Ok so...

If JR craches then the TM will rollback the global transaction because it
will timeout with respect to JR.

If JR crashes, there may be a consistency issue which you brought up in your
previous email. I suppose it is very difficult to make the store consistent
again, is it even probable that the store would be unreadable ? I suppose
not since it seems that each Item is stored in its own file. What is the
extent of damage if a node cannot be read ? How many nodes does it affect :
itself, parent & children ?

What if an XA transaction includes both JR and another application : what
happens if the TM decides to rollback because of the *other* application :
JR will not commit and thus everything will be ok ?

So essentially, JR supports transactions unless it crashes in which case the
consistency of the content stored is not guaranteed (although it is with a
db-backed PM). Is this statement correct ?

> dominique is the real expert in this area so he might be able to
> provide more
> detailed information.
Dominique, any thoughts on this ?

Thanks