jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dependency on cqfs-jackrabbit
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 12:37:52 GMT
On 5/17/05, Felix Meschberger <Felix.Meschberger@day.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The Jackrabbit project contains a dependency on "cqfs-jackrabbit" and
> "cqfs" provided by Day Software. The former contains a single class
> CQFileSystem implementing the "org.apache.jackrabbit.core.fs.FileSystem"
> to provide an alternative for Jackrabbit's own LocalFileSystem
> implementation. This dependency is part of the Jackrabbit project such
> that this implementation is available to the test cases for them to run
> faster on Windows-based development boxes.
>
> The problem with this project-level dependency is that the
> cqfs-jackrabbit project contains a dependency on the Jackrabbit project
> to get the interface to be implemented. Now there is a cyclic dependency
> which is not good conceptually and which creates a bootstrap problem.
>
> I would like to break this cyclic dependency by removing the cqfs
> dependency from Jackrabbit altogether. This would result in the tests
> being configured to use LocalFileSystem instead of CQFileSystem.
> Consequently performance - esp. on Windows boxes - would suffer. Simple
> tests on Windows XP show, that a full build with test runs take around
> 10-11 minutes with LocalFileSystem compared to around 5-6 minutes with
> CQFileSystem. The same hardware running Fedora Core 3 runs the full
> build cycle in 4-5 minutes regardless of whether LocalFileSystem or
> CQFileSystem is used.
>
> Nothing would of course prevent developers from configuring tests on
> their local platform with more performing FileSystem implementations.
>
> What do you think ?

both cqfs & cqfs-jackrabbit are runtime dependencies only
and commented as such in project.xml. there's no problem
of cyclic dependencies when building jackrabbit because
both jars are automatically downloaded by maven from day's
repository.

i cannot see any urging technical reason why we should remove
cqfs-jackrabbit and cqfs from the project.xml, especially so when
considering its trade-off (doubling the runtime of the test cases :(.

hence -1 for removing cqfs-jackrabbit and cqfs from project.xml

cheers
stefan