jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance issues of using "object" repository rather than "orm"
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 10:50:10 GMT
On 5/18/05, Philippe Girolami <philippe.girolami@digiplug.com> wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> > i don't understand your question, sorry. the PersistenceManager
> > (PM) is at the
> > bottom layer in jackrabbit's architecture. the PM is responsible
> > for persisting
> > and loading NodeState and PropertyState objects, nothing more and nothing
> > less. there are multiple PM implementations available in jackrabbit.
> > the Object PM
> > that you mentioned uses a primitive yet efficient homegrown
> > filessytem-based
> > serialization format whereas the ORM PM uses object relational
> > database to persist
> > the data.
> Thanks for the sum-up, I'd gathered that much from looking at the source...
> I didn't use the right words.
>
> > now what is your question?
> I am considering using JR in a new project and am looking at architectural
> issues right now. The question is : should I use the default
> filesystem-based PM or the database (OBJ/Hibernate) PM ? What is the
> rationale for the database PM ? What performance/maintenance gains can I
> expect ?
>
> My assumption being that using lucene will ensure that queries are not run
> in SQL, I am wondering why I should use a DB unless there are use-cases
> where jackrabbit will traverse a huge amount of nodes... are there any ?
>
> Is my question clearer or I am still not making sense ?

everything's clear now, thanks :)

<disclaimer>
i have to admit that i am biased. i love simplicity and easy deployment and
i am not a huge fan of ORM.
</disclaimer>

to answer your question:

Object PM
----------------
pro:
- very easy (i.e. zero) deployment
- very simple yet efficient
- excellent performance on a decent file system
- no network transport overhead

con:
- scalability for very large data sets?
- non-transactional