jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Gash" <Simon.G...@gossinteractive.com>
Subject RE: Repository Fatal Error
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 13:46:55 GMT
OK I've walked my way through the code and this is what I found.

The RSS reader passes the string (containing illegal XML character &) to
me and then I use it to form the name of a new node. This is then saved
in XML format by the persistence manager. However, when re-loading the
node an XMLReader is used, this has problems with parsing the XML
(containing the illegal character - its used to indicate the start of an
entity reference) and logs an error, further down the stack an exception
is raised as the node has no 'value'.

I guess the solution would be to encode the xml on storage (& = &amp;),
I did this manually and it worked fine. I'm not sure if I should be
checking the new nodes name to ensure its good XML or whether JackRabbit
should be doing it ? Or how about using the CDATA to block escape
literal text ?

Any thoughts anyone...

Thanks for your time.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Guggisberg [mailto:stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com]
Sent: 16 May 2005 14:28
To: jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Repository Fatal Error

On 5/13/05, Simon Gash <Simon.Gash@gossinteractive.com> wrote:
> I'm using JackRabbit to store some RSS feeds but now and again I get a

> fatal error from the repository. I'm guessing that there is some text
> in the RSS title that JackRabbit does not like (I'm attempting to
> strip out punctuation but I'm probably missing something.
>
> Is there a way of repairing the repository ? and is there a way of
> validating the input before I use it to create a node ?
>
> This is the repository exception I get
>
> [Fatal Error] :30:24: The entity name must immediately follow the '&'
> in the entity reference.
> ERROR:  'The entity name must immediately follow the '&' in the entity

> reference.'
> java.util.NoSuchElementException: failed to retrieve item state of
> item e2fa4f29-c6f7-4b46-b0d3-09568f564e0d

please note that neither is a RepositoryException therefor it's hardly a
"Repository Fatal Error". a stack trace would be helpful.

cheers
stefan

> Come visit us at:
>
> Internet World 2005. June 14 - 16, Earls Court, Stand # A60
>
> Government Computing Expo. June 21 & 22, Earls Court, Stand # 804
>
> SOCITM Annual Event. October 16 - 18 Brighton Hotel, Stand # 28 GOSS -

> Ranked 4th in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Awards 2004 and 88th in
the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 EMEA.

> This email contains proprietary information, some or all of which may
be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please
notify the author by replying to this email. If you are not the intended
recipient you may not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on
this email.

> Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as
information may be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete or contain viruses. This email and any files attached to
it have been checked with virus detection software before transmission.
You should nonetheless carry out your own virus check before opening any
attachment. GOSS Interactive Ltd accepts no liability for any loss or
damage that may be caused by software viruses.